Controller (Washington, D.C.)
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, D.C.
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President, Finance & Administration
SUPERVISES: Accounting Coordinator
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
LIFT is a national nonprofit whose mission is to empower families to break the cycle of poverty. Founded in 1998, we have helped 100,000 low-income individuals achieve their goals. Today we connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools and resources they need. LIFT operates in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C., communities with some of the highest rates of concentrated poverty. We help families build the personal well-being, social connections and financial strength to secure basic needs and achieve long-term goals and aspirations, like a safe home, living wages or a better education. To learn more, visit www.liftcommunities.org.
LIFT is at an exciting moment in its organizational trajectory. Having recently launched a new four-year strategic plan, we are expanding our team. We are looking for entrepreneurial, results-driven, relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced accounting professional to support the financial infrastructure and systems at a growing and dynamic national nonprofit. The Controller will manage financial systems including: general ledger, payroll, budgeting, and grants administration. S/he will help identify areas for improvement and take a proactive approach in providing and implementing recommendations to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
The Controller will help to ensure LIFT’s growth in accordance with its strategic planning goals and will maintain the integrity of the fiscal data. This position reports directly to the SVP, Finance & Administration and will supervise the Accounting Coordinator (position to be filled).
AS CONTROLLER YOU WILL BE:
• Maintaining accurate financial record keeping and reporting systems
• Managing and executing monthly accounting closing cycle
• Preparing monthly and ad hoc financial reports, schedules and analysis for LIFT’s leadership team
• Ensuring grant accounting is accurate, aligned with underlying grant documents, and properly recorded
• Preparing grant budgets and grant-required financial reports
• Processing semi-monthly payroll for all LIFT national and regional staff
• Preparing accurate schedules for annual audit and budgeting process
• Assisting with coordination efforts to ensure proper and timely preparation of various required filings, including Form 990, and charitable registrations
• Monitoring accounts receivable and coordinating efforts with LIFT’s development team to ensure timely collection of contributions
• Leading the annual audit process
• Acting as a member of, and collaborating with, the National FinOps team at LIFT which includes HR & Talent, Tech, and Finance
• Providing a superior level of service to internal stakeholders and internal clients
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
• Commitment to LIFT’s mission and core values
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent from accredited university
• Minimum of 1-2 years of public accounting experience required, preferably in a non-profit environment
• Knowledge of ASU 2016-14, ASU 2014-9, ASU 2016-02
• Bookkeeping and general experience in QuickBooks highly preferred
• Supervisory experience a plus
• Strong communication and problem-solving skills
• Highly organized, with track record of successfully juggling multiple priorities
• Very strong computer application skills, including Microsoft Office products. Proficiency with payroll processing software required
• Demonstrated ability to develop solid, trusted relationships with teammates, leadership, and internal stakeholders, and ability to use discretion and good judgment when working with sensitive information
• Desire and ability to work and thrive in a growth-oriented, evolving environment
WHAT WE OFFER:
In addition to a competitive salary, LIFT provides an attractive benefits package that includes employer-paid health care coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match contribution, partial cell phone coverage, and pre-tax accounts for transit, health, and childcare benefits. LIFT also provides a generous paid-time-off policy, including a one-week company-wide vacation over the winter holidays.
Qualified individuals, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter with salary requirements to: https://grnh.se/80f98e162%20
LIFT believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. LIFT does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, or ideology.